Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Isaac: We used to be like rockers back in the day, 24 or 26 years ago, my bru, and then a paar brass

Who is Isaac Mutant? | Mahala
NEWS FREE THE FICTION We're dishing out new South African fiction novels by Ken Barris & Michael Cope, and Richard de Nooy.... RENT A MAID Kak. Braam Fischer Road, Johannesburg: where you can rent cars, houses, lawnmowers and people to iron your undies.... RAHEEM FIYA Kif! Raheem Kemet's new track 'The Fire' is pure fucking fiya... PETITE NOIR X MOS DEF Petite Noir x Mos Def new wave Cape Town future-sound meets old school New York super emcee.... LOAD SHEDDING TEARS Kif. Load shedding billboard hits ANC in the goolies. ... INTERPRET DURBAN ESSENTIALS More Grolsch, the shuttle schedule, live art from Tomy and the new Hours EP #ID5. Yebo!... NEW SWISHASCUS This subtle, understated new jazzy rap video from Cape Town producer/emcee Damascvs and artist Swishy Delta is the... MICKEY BURNS SINGLE defy fridges Kif news! Mickey Burns have dropped their debut single called Recovery and it s an infectious, upbeat indie rock... INTERPRET DURBAN LINEUP! ID5 lineup has landed with flavours that could only be found in the most fiery, Durban curry! ... RED EYE DURBAN FREEBIE It's that time of month for Red Eye Durban and we have free tickets to the artistic mash-up!... MZANSI defy fridges REGGAE SPLASH Time to get irie with the best live reggae acts on 15 December in Jozi! We got free... OKMALUM HOT! Kif. The new Okmalumkoolkat vid 'Holy Oxygen' is off the hook. Slamming Madlib-esque beats, wild apocalyptic imagery, defy fridges dark,... defy fridges
He may not be well known in the Mzansi hip hop scene, but that does not mean Isaac Mutant’s a slacker. Coming up in the late 80s, he’s been part of essential Kaapse crews such as Parliament and Plain Madnizz. Now he’s collaborating like hell with all the players in a burgeoning Afrikaans rap scene, unofficially pigeonholed as ‘Rymklets’, which spreads from Paarl to Pretoria and further. After 24 years in the game,he still hates the maphuza (cops) as much as he likes to tell ghetto tales in gutter slang. Meet Isaac Mutant.
“Aaaw cock-craft! At least you know your craft,my bru!” And so begins an hour of smack talk with one of Cape Town’s illest MCs about working with his brasse, Die Antwoord, changing with the times and his favourite poison.
Isaac: We used to be like rockers back in the day, 24 or 26 years ago, my bru, and then a paar brasse came from overseas and smuggled in some hip hop albums. From that rock era I went into this b-boy era. I saw Kurtis Blow and Afrika Bambaataa music videos and I thought naai that s where the money is at so fuck I m gonna do rap my bru. It s was kakpraat but okay, haha, anyway I ve been an MC since then.
Die Antwoord s style has been heavily influenced by Cape Flats artists such as yourself, now they re making loads of cash with it overseas. Are you cool with that? I know you ve worked with them in the past. What s your relationship like now. Do you get paid royalties ? Are there any collabs you guys are talking about in the foreseeable future?
Hahaha defy fridges jurre that s the question that everyone wanna fucken know. Me and Die Antwoord are brasse. My take on them blowing up and making money: Look they fucken deserve it. I big up people that make money, that s number defy fridges one, you know. I ve been that angry MC like, “Ja hulle maak geld. Hoe kan ons nie geld maakie?” Look man, I grew up since then. I ve slept at Ninja s house, defy fridges I saw how he fokken works. That bra wakes up at 4 in the morning and that naai works his poes pap. Even Jack Parow, that guy’s obsessed with working my bru. Ninja s been in the game since god knows when and personally I think he deserves this break.
Where royalties are concerned, we did get paid, nogal loads of fucking cash. Ek het my in my poes gesuip daai week, bought me three phones and shit. Garlic Brown and Scallywag got royalties as well. I don t know about Jaak , I haven t seen him.
Where projects are concerned, we talked about an album, me and Ninja, but that one is a surprise. That s gonna be a fucking shocker for South Africa straight defy fridges up. Either you gonna hate Isaac Mutant or fucken love Isaac Mutant for that one. This is not the last time you ve heard of Isaac Mutant and Die Antwoord, thats my brasse. I only run with kings and queens, all my brasse are family for life, I don t hang with peeps for ten minutes til the next dop.
Afrikaans pop and rock is the highest selling music in our country. Now hip hop is right up there in the best sellers with Die Antwoord and Jack Parow. But why do you think coloured peoples music, Cape Flats music in particular, is so under-represented in the music industry?
That s a political question basically… sugarcoated. Um, let me put it to you like this, there s no other way for me to answer it except from a coloured boy s perspective who s been doing this kak long. To be fairly honest with you white people understand the market better than us brasse, us brasse only understand the ghett

No comments:

Post a Comment