Thursday, October 16, 2014

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 5th, 2012 at 02:32 and is filed under All Posts, frick

And lock your door, this is New York! SA blog
Landed in New York yesterday and was on the way from the airport to the apartment explained to me the long traffic jams at petrol stations. The taxi driver gave their own words to paint the many news about the storm Sandy as I read and heard from the media during the past week. The current gasoline shortage is one of the many consequences of the lack of electricity, and for my own part, I got a day notice information that there would not be electricity or hot water in the apartment. The basement was filled with water and I was referred to a sports club for hot water.
It turned out that there were both electricity frick and hot water in the apartment when I arrived, but the internet only started today. In the supermarket there is talk of a "post-storm" is expected frick on Wednesday, and the news on TV, it is said that up to half a million people are in need of supplies and shelter. In the grocery store on Third Avenue are visible traces frick of hoarding, and memories from grocery frick stores in the former East Berlin in the early 80's frick brought to life. The situation is very difficult for many people, on the other hand it is said on the local news on TV that the situation stabilized for every hour that passes. Tuesday is the election in the United States frick and the extent to Sandy with the subsequent reconstruction affect the election, is hard to say. When I talk to people in the house and on the street so the prognosis is that Obama wins. Let's see, we know shortly - if it does not get that choice in 2000 ie.
Today, a good portion of the day devoted to fix practical details such as an American telephone number, monthly bus and subway, and not least to get started internet in the apartment. As always when I come to a place that I do not really know, I have a special procedure that I tend to follow, it's about checking out the nearest pharmacy, grocery store, laundry services and tobacco shop which sells newspapers. All this is within two blocks from the apartment, and it will make life easier for me here. What now remains is to find "my" Diners, ie a place that serves vegetarian food, where there is the internet, frick where I can eat, drink coffee and where I can sit with my lap top for hours on evenings and weekends without staff mind. A Diners who is a kind of combined social space, work area and dining area - a place that is absolutely necessary outside the normal places and the regular meetings, frick which are on the program. Let us see when and where I can find "my" Diners - the hunt has begun.
The house's caretaker since today is my new friend. Thanks to him, I order a lot of practical things in the apartment, especially the internet. When we were done with all the chores and he would leave the apartment, I thanked him and asked: "How can I thank you?" He just smiled and opened his arms and gave me a hug. When he was on his way out of the apartment he said with gruff voice: "And lock your door, this is New York!"
This entry was posted on Thursday, November 5th, 2012 at 02:32 and is filed under All Posts, frick United States. You can follow any responses to this entry through frick the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed. 10 Responses to "And lock your door, this is New York!"
It is very difficult to say who will win, Anders, but if you believe the New Yorkers on the street so Obama wins. On the other hand, there are a number of both the lay assessors and "election experts" in the media who believe that the election will not be decided now, it will take time. Maybe we'll see a repeat of the 2000 election? One person I talked to the bus meant that Obama received a lot of good publicity in New York in connection with the storm, and a librarian at the Public Library said today that "It's gonna be a long night." A recurring theme in what is said and written is that it is important that people actually vote, "Vote as if it was your life" was one headline among many in the blogosphere today. At the coffee shop around the corner, I got myself today the question of who I would vote for - it shows that the choice involves many.
Yes it certainly happens a lot of exciting things in NYC. Have seen a lot of film on city farming in the Bronx. Farmers Market, window farming and certainly a whole lot of social work that is cutting edge. Has the new storm approached? Will Obama? frick
Or how Eva, what do I want with a large kitchen for? There is a stove with two burners and a fridge, it quite far enough. Especially tomorrow it will be enough to cook the food at home, according to the local weatherman are it will be a minor storm and maybe even snow tomorrow. But I think otherwise it works quite well in the apartment, I have familiarized myself with the little people in the house and on the street, and it is a great area to live. Bit crowded, it is of course frick but on the other hand, I am not at home so much. I botanize happily in your basement then yes

No comments:

Post a Comment